June 28, 2010

In Other News: Deacon Interviews Twilight's Alex Meraz

Deacon and intern Hailey took a break from Wubba time this weekend to sit down with Alex Meraz, “Paul” in the upcoming blockbuster Eclipse, the third installment of the Twilight Saga.

Alex, Hailey and Deacon put all paws on the table (terribly rude, we know) to discuss Eclipse, Alex’s sudden rise to fame, his inability to wear a shirt, and all things wolf pack.

We’ve recapped the madhouse that was Nordstrom here, but if you’re a total Twi-hard like us, you likely want more info. 



(That's Meraz, at left, with Hailey Robbins)


What was your favorite part of Eclipse, what can the fans look forward to with the newest installment?

Alex: My favorite part to watch was actually when Jacob explains imprinting.  That was my favorite scene to watch because it was so beautifully acted.  I just really saw a huge improvement in the performance of Taylor [Lautner] and Kristen [Stewart].  It really seemed so real to me.  It hurt me to see my brother in pain, you know?  That was my favorite scene to watch…and to film [what] was probably one of my only scenes.  It was one where Jacob’s body gets broken and the wolfpack runs up to him to kind of help him out.  It was wet and rainy that day and I was barefoot and shirtless and we kept slipping.  I [was trying to give] the other guys advice on [how not to fall] I ended up falling myself and rolling in the mud....  The guys and I all had a really good laugh about it.

Did your martial arts training help you out with the physicality of the scenes?

Alex: With falling?  Yeah, I guess so…more with being comfortable in my own skin and being shirtless and everything.  When we train, we are with a bunch of sweaty guys rolling around on mats fighting.  I wasn’t really insecure about any of that stuff.

The wolf pack plays a key role in Eclipse especially. How did you prepare for such a physically demanding role?  You spend the majority of the movies jumping back and forth between Paul the Human and Paul the wolf.  How does it affect your ability to act when your character goes back and forth between human and computer generated wolf?  Does it change your performance? 

Alex: No, because I can’t really account for what the computer is doing. I didn’t see any of it until I saw the movie.  Then it was, ‘Wow!’  I just focused on the scenes I had.  You rely on the director to have the bigger picture in mind and guide you through things.

Your character, Paul, is known as the more hot-headed wolf and very anti-vampire.  How did you bring that temper in to Eclipse?

Alex:  The fighting scenes really had nothing to do with my miniature arc in the story.  I just realized from reading the books that [Paul] puts aside all of his pride and he is forced to join forces with the Cullen family, one he doesn’t particularly like.  [They are] his sworn enemy, but we have to fight a new threat and put our pride aside, so you don’t really see as much of his temper.

How has the obsession with Twilight changed your everyday life?

Alex: It has made me act more comfortable in my own skin.  I think when you first do things like this, different personalities emerge.  Some people, they get kind of terrified and feel they have to be something that you are not to keep fans happy.  That was a natural impulse at first for me, but then I realized they just want to see me be me.  They want to see my natural character, how I am, and my personality.  I think that [my personality] has flourished and I now feel really comfortable dealing with fans.

Your wife, Kim, was pretty instrumental in getting you to try out for the role of Paul. 

Alex: She is great.  She has been really fantastic about it all, she is a great support system.

And your son, Somak.  Is he into the movies?

Alex: No, he is too young.

I read an interview where you said that a fan was so excited to see you, she actually threw up on you.  How do you handle something like that?

Alex: You know, I don’t know.  I don’t really have a game plan when someone does something.  I don’t even expect anything anymore, so when it happens, it is just ‘Woah!’.  I am in the moment, made sure she was okay.  It was pretty intense, seeing someone react that way.

It has got to be a little bit flattering too, though.

Alex: Yeah, I guess that is when you know you've make it, right?  When someone throws up on you?

The animation of the wolf pack is pretty incredible. Did you get to work with Tippett Studios on the process of creating your wolf?

Alex: I love Phil Tippett.  He is a legend in the industry, and a great, jolly man.  But I did not really have much involvement in the creation of my wolf.  We did this thing called a cyber scan that is like a body Xerox.  They used that to modify our body and form it into this wolf.  I got to take part in that and they [at Tippett] explained a little bit of what they were going to do and how they were going to use it.  I did not see it until I had to do a thing called ADR, when you have to record your voice over the film.   I did the scene where after Bella hits me, I start huffing and puffing.  They had me watching the film, and I didn’t expect them to continue the scene- I was watching it on a big scene with a mic right in front of me on the couch with the Director, Chris Weitz on the other side of me and all of a sudden I POP! And turn into a wolf.  I was stunned when I saw that because I really didn’t expect that.  Just seeing how amazing it looked, it was pretty incredible.  I turned around to Chris [Weitz] and just said, ‘Crap, I’m a WOLF!’  He just looked at me like, Uhh, yeah.

Was the reaction pretty crazy to the screening [Saturday at National Harbor] when you showed up?

Alex: Yes, it is always something different when I go to these events.  All different people, their reactions are always different, but it was great just to be out there and have all these people wait for hours to see me and come together in celebration of something we all care about.

Breaking Dawn will start filming soon.  The wolves are super involved in that, especially with the divide between Jacob [Black] and Sam [Uley] – are you ready to get back to work on the final two parts of the series?

Alex: I just live for the moment, so when we get around to that, I will be ecstatic.  But right now I am talking to you, so I am focused on that first!

Since you have already seen the movie, what do you think about Eclipse?  Are you thrilled with the way it ended wrapping?

Alex: Oh it is the best film ever!

Well, it IS the best book…

Alex: That’s right!  That is what I was just going to say.   I am glad that the fans even agree that the third book is the best.  I told David [Slade, the director] that, and he instantly was like, ‘Well, it IS the best book.’  You have to give it some credit.  He is shy about that, which is great.  [Eclipse] couldn’t be what it was without the two previous films.  They both really laid the groundwork and you see visually how it is captured, and I think it is something that shows why the fans keep coming back and it keeps getting bigger and better.  It is just an amazing film – more excitement, graphics are amazing, a quicker pace, the love story is still there.  It has it all.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great interview. This helped us get to know Alex and his work a lot better.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...