January 15, 2009

In Other News: A Denim Debacle - and Solution


I'll admit it - I hate shopping for jeans. In my mind, they're actually worse than bathing suits. With a suit, at least you're expecting to see your body. In jeans, it seems, parts of your body that you don't want to see keep popping up (or out, as the case may be).

Muffin topping is a serious no-no, and buying mom jeans just isn't an option. Yes, we all know that there are some great stores out there to buy denim (see the February Washingtonian for a huge piece on that subject by yours truly, btw) but sometimes even all the jeans in the world aren't enough to make a girl feel good.

Back in the day (read: high school and early college), Seven was all the rage. But for some reason, it never looked fab on my figure, except one pair of straight-legged ones with an "irregular" tag I picked up at a Saks Off Fifth.

Citizens of Humanity were my go-to, and I predictably slid on into a 27 or 28 without any drama. Then, during the must-have pocket design phase, I discovered True Religion, which I rocked without fail till graduation.

And then ... post-college hit. Suddenly, be it from sitting at a desk or all of our, um, entertaining exploits ... nothing fit. My ba-donk-a-donk was suddenly a Beyonce booty, but Apple Bottom Jeans just aren't my thing. Now, I've always had a rather, shall we say, generous amount of junk in the trunk, but these days there's a little more lovin' to go around.

Embarassing, to say the least, although I seriously doubt anyone would call me fat, or even chubby.

And so I have spent the past six months avoiding denim of all kinds, until I discovered J Brand - their "ankle cleavage" jean was the only pair that flattered my figure, although I did have to make some significant alterations to get them to fit in the waist. They're perfect to tuck into boots and wear with both heels and flats, as they fit right around your shoe without bunching or dragging.

So this afternoon, I spent two hours at Bloomies (after an unproductive several hours at Saks and Neimans last night) trying on pair after pair. I'm not loving the Joe's "Honey" cut, for some reason, even though it supposedly rocks for a curvy figure, and the "Amber" by Citizens, a higher-waisted style of their popular Kelly jean, is ridiculously hard to locate in anything larger than a 26.

But on my way out, I found what I think is the perfect solution - a new, Bloomies exclusive "curvy" fit by J Brand, called the Scarlett, which is conveniently named after my literary idol, Scarlett O'Hara. It's got more room where you want it - the butt and thigh, and is still curved at the waist for a girl who isn't large all over, just in certain spots. I bought a pair immediately and can't wait to get them hemmed.

Now I just need to figure out how to work my newfound bootay into other parts of my wardrobe. This whole "dressing for your (new) body type" crap is harder than I thought it would be.

And yes, this was a heads up that I need to get a bit more into the gym and a bit less into the brownies. You'll find me on elliptical number three, blasting away the Britney, five days a week.

Leave comments, encouragement, and chubette jokes below.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...